Claw tightness

Discussion about guitar setup, repair, and other technical issues
redKramer
Kramer Maniac

Claw tightness

Post by redKramer » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:29 pm

I've been experimenting with a couple of different springs, mainly the Floyd Rose black and the heavy duty red. My question is how much is the claw too much screwed into the body (tight) that I would probably need to changes things, like springs type? I use .10-46 string gauge, tuned to E-flat, on one guitar with the red springs, the claw screws are way loose, and I also just use two springs angled. If I put the 3 red springs, it just gets too much tension. When using the black springs, the claw screws are too much into the body, and I used the 3 springs. Tension wise is good, but my concern is if the claw is too close to the body or too far away. I got the black springs thinking they would be just a smidge weaker that the red ones, but they're actually even weaker than my stock springs. Here's a couple pictures to explain better:

Does it really matter if the claw is too close to the body or too far away, as long the tension balance is good? I was thinking that if the springs are constantly stretched, due to the claw being too close to the body, that might damage them quicker.

AAEA
Kramer Kingpin

Re: Claw tightness

Post by AAEA » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 am

the standard claw just floats so it doesn't exactly matter all that much.

the more contact that trem parts have to the body the more overall sustain you have.

ever tired one of these?

the schaller claw:
I own kramers :mrgreen

80sChris
Kramer Kommander

Post by 80sChris » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:33 pm

It's apparently meant to improve sustain if the claw is screwed all the way to the body. I've seen guitars built with shorter tremolo routes to achieve this.

I tried setting up my Floyded Baretta Special with two regular Floyd springs and ran out of adjustment with the claw and had to go with three springs. I haven't tried any of the various painted springs available.

Kramers
Kramer Kingpin

Post by Kramers » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:23 pm

redKramer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:29 pmI was thinking that if the springs are constantly stretched, due to the claw being too close to the body, that might damage them quicker.
I wouldn't worry about it. Cross that bridge when/if needed.
7-Pointies, 4-Bananas of sorts, 2-Hockey Sticks, 1-Open Book(?)

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:58 pm

Springs are made to be stretched, nothing wrong with that. And even if they go bad in ten years, it costs like 5 to swap them and you're good for another ten years.

IMO the best springs are modern black Fender variety. Medium tension but very elastic, makes it a bit easier to work the trem.

If the noise bothers you, just insert a piece of foam below them and you'll be fine. I use foam from Duncan pickup packaging. Never understood why people waste money on "noiseless" springs.

SWANTECH
Kramer Kingpin

Post by SWANTECH » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 pm

_xxx_ wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:58 pm Springs are made to be stretched, nothing wrong with that. And even if they go bad in ten years, it costs like 5 to swap them and you're good for another ten years.

IMO the best springs are modern black Fender variety. Medium tension but very elastic, makes it a bit easier to work the trem.

If the noise bothers you, just insert a piece of foam below them and you'll be fine. I use foam from Duncan pickup packaging. Never understood why people waste money on "noiseless" springs.
+1. Pickup package foam has a lot of uses. The Fender or Floyd Rose black springs are really good. I also like them.
Joe in Detroit
85 Striker 100ST Blk (1st Guitar)
88 Nightswan Sparkle Blue
88 Nightswan Holoflash
88 Nigthswan Bolt/Duckling
19 Nightswan Polka Dot
88 Stagemaster T Blue
86 Classic III Tele Cream
90 Classic II Tele Cream
90 ProAxe Std CR
89 Sustainer Holo
89 Sustainer Trans Blue
90's Spector SSD Blackhawk
89 Glide C2 Blk
86 Focus Classic Snbst
87 Monsters of Rock Baretta 2
87 Pacer Cst 1 Relic
89 Pacer Cst 2 Blk
91 B3 Blk Cherry
91 B3 Blk
88 EE Pro 1 White/Rainbow
89 Grace C1 blue
01 Music Yo Cst Explorer Blue
Ton of projects.

workerunit
Kramer Maniac

Post by workerunit » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:27 am

I would think that the spring claw screws should be tightend as much as possible to abtain the optimum tremolo level, balance and feel for whatever springs that are being used.

kremark
Kramer Kommander

Post by kremark » Sun May 19, 2024 5:43 pm

There is a perfect balance and it is possible to over or under tighten the claw screws. For the true floating set-up
the goal is to have the baseplate perfectly level with the plank o wood that is the top of the guitar body. If you go from 9's to 10's or different tunings, have the screwdriver ready.
I don't usually find a use for this smiley :flipa , but I like so there you have it.
Steve B.

kremark
Kramer Kommander

Post by kremark » Tue May 21, 2024 6:19 pm

Specifically, the parallel of the baseplate to the body here:
I don't usually find a use for this smiley :flipa , but I like so there you have it.
Steve B.

_xxx_
Kramer Kingpin

Post by _xxx_ » Wed May 22, 2024 4:35 am

Actually parallel to the strings. Making it parallel to the body on say a Les Paul would be way off.