Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:15 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:11 am 
Kramer Kommander

Sorry no experience with the flickers but I'm pretty sure the vintage style American has different mounts than the Mexican.
If you can find info on those from the fender boys, you can compare what you need.
Seems anti-Kramer to me to de-Floyd a Kramer......just saying..... :poke :nono

Just messin', do what ya gotta do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:25 am 
Kramer Maniac

sixstring wrote:
Sorry no experience with the flickers but I'm pretty sure the vintage style American has different mounts than the Mexican.
If you can find info on those from the fender boys, you can compare what you need.
Seems anti-Kramer to me to de-Floyd a Kramer......just saying..... :poke :nono

Just messin', do what ya gotta do.

Haha, I did pick up a Kramer vintage tremolo, when it arrives I can see if the holes line up.

I will do a lengthy post with pictures on Monday.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:37 am 
Kramer Maniac

So here are the issues I found with the floyd installation.

Unfortunately, it was not installed correctly, the posts were installed too far towards the bridge humbucker, so the floyd block is resting on the in the tremolo route.Which makes it impossible to have floyd level to the body.

So if I were to keep the floyd, the posts would have to doweled, and new holes would have to moved back.

I removed the locking nut and string tree

As you can see, someone grinded down this lock nut so it fits behind the nut

More pics

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:09 am 
Kramer Maniac

just scored a complete ESP Flicker tremolo to bring this baby back to stock configuration

Now all I need to do is get the holes filled and it will be back to the way it was from the factory.

Probably the reason why this thing is so minty, was because the floyd installation was horrible, making it barely playable.

This baby even has the original kramer "shims", the fiber glass looking cloth.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:17 pm 
Kramer Kommander

That's pretty kool! :thumbs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:28 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Just go this back to stock

Installed an ESP Flicker I was lucky enough to find on ebay.

Installed original Aluminum strap buttons (had fender style ones)

Installed fender string trees

Removed and installed new volume and tone knobs to stock ones

I do have to say, that the ESP flicker is a nice tremolo. I set it up like a floyd rose, where its floating parallel to the body.

So I owned another C series special, in the mile thick custom color or candy red. It seems that the finish is so thick, that when the neck is mounted, the fretboard overhang rests on the body, so much so, that a huge shim is required.

Has anyone had experience with this? I figure I could take about 1/8" of an inch off the underside of the fretboard overhang so I don't need to use a shim, but wanted to get some feedback first.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:46 pm 
Kramer Kommander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:46 pm 
Kramer Maniac

First off, nice restore on the Emerald Special. If I read correctly earlier in this thread, you mentioned about moving the Floyd posts if you kept a Floyd on it. Just so you know, you can't just move things around like that. It throws the scale of the guitar off and you will never get it to intonate, so I was glad to see the Flicker purchase and install. :thumbs

Now I am a little confused with your second CAR dilemma. Are you saying that the original neck won't fit without hitting the clearcoat, or are you trying to put a different neck on that Special body and it's not lining up right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:20 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Del Hudson wrote:
First off, nice restore on the Emerald Special. If I read correctly earlier in this thread, you mentioned about moving the Floyd posts if you kept a Floyd on it. Just so you know, you can't just move things around like that. It throws the scale of the guitar off and you will never get it to intonate, so I was glad to see the Flicker purchase and install. :thumbs

Now I am a little confused with your second CAR dilemma. Are you saying that the original neck won't fit without hitting the clearcoat, or are you trying to put a different neck on that Special body and it's not lining up right?

When the guitar had the floyd install, I believe they used a template to mount the floyd like the one at stew mac. The template uses the original mounting holes from a vintage tremolo as a guide. I believe this was done, and the error of the install is that it didn't have a vintage trem, it has the ESP flicker, so the post holes are further towards the bridge pickup as a result. This caused the problem of the tremolo block essentially resting on the wood of the tremolo route towards the bridge. The block wasn't in the middle of the route, it was up towards the bridge, if you can visualize that.

The problem with the neck, and I had this same problem here

http://www.kramerforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/proud-new-kramer-pacer-owner.1279/

I believe that the finish on these Candy colors, is SO thick, that the fretboard overhang rests right on the body. When you put the neck in the pocket, the neck has no way of resting in the pocket, because the fretboard overhang sits on the body. It sits on the body, causing a gap, requiring shims to make of the difference, or else it would be open air space when bolted on.

I was thinking that I can do 2 things, either 1. sand the bottom of the fretboard overhang to remove enough material to allow the neck to sit in the pocket, or 2. sand the finish off on the body where the overhang would sit.

There are 4 pieces of the "vintage" kramer (alien X nation pun dielaughing ) shim material used. I believe the guitar only really needs 1, or non at all. So i'm trying to get away from using a shim. for more "TONE" :band

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:25 pm 
Kramer Maniac

You could try this sort of thing:

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Su ... uitar.html

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next