Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:30 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 24 fret Pacers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 pm 
Kramer Maniac

As I am sure many of you have seen, there has been an influx of unreleased 24 fret models on the market the past couple of years. Fate has landed three of these, a seafoam green, a glittery red and a goat-o-flash in my lap. I have a decent idea about what I want to do for each, but I was wondering if anybody here has been foolish enough to get one, and which neck you eventually ended up with.

Great trades with: bacon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:33 pm 
Kramer Kommander

:worthless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:48 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I have two of them in storage here. I'll get them out for you tonight!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:12 am 
Kramer Maniac

Sorry that this took a couple of days; I had to get two of the bodies out of storage.

The first one I haven't a picture of, but here is one that is almost like it. Mine has the Custom I layout, though. For this I was planning to get a reverse headstock Charvel neck from Musikraft, and get a fake Fender-style logo to commemorate an old feline friend (1992-2013): Findus Catocaster, Fat Cat Model. :lame I will probably go for gold hardware, and may even put a couple of stars on it to Samborize it; for pickups I have a full set of Schallers I'll try first.

(Mine is like the seafoam green on top)

I do have two with me here, though. This is one that was advertised as being pearl pink, but is more of a deep red with a little glitter in it:

This will be all black, and I hope to be able to get something close to a Kramer style headstock for it. Black hardware, not sure about the pickups yet. (the SD custom shop do not advertise it, but they can make you a Dokkenbucker, which is a slightly weaker variant of the Distortion, if you ask them. I am tempted for this one.)

Finally, the goat-o-flash. You all know who did this:

This is going to get EMGs, black hardware and a pointy headstock of some sort. I wonder if it is possible to use the mini switch to switch between 9v and 18v for the pickups?

That is it for now. These are long term projects, both because I don't have the money and that I have to many others, paradoxically enough.

So there you are – I've shown mine. Anybody else?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:17 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Ah yes...the goatmans stash.
Are these 25.5"?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:50 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Yes, there are no Kramer necks that fit them (except for prototypes, of which at least one exist).

I wonder when these were made. They obviously never went into production, but they don't look like late-era models either. More than anything they resemble the early Stagemasters. Were they conceived of at the same time, but abandoned? I might need to ask about this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:26 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I bought a Gibson/Kramer 24 fret neck off of ebay. My plan is to get one of these bodies and assemble it. I don't like the shape of the head stock, though, I laid a Kramer pointy over it, and it appears as though I can trim the head stock, and make a nice 24 fret 'old style' pointy out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:31 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Oooh, that is good to know! Are any of the Gibson era Kramer necks any good? I have absolutely no experience with them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:31 am 
Kramer Kommander

None of those with 24 frets, those were only used on cheap models (Strikers etc.). Nice profile and playability but no tonewood. Only MusicYo 84 and JS were real quality stuff, but those are 22 frets and thick like a baseball bat. Mostly even those will require a refret, because the frets were not always installed/glued properly.

I can recommend Musikraft, can't go wrong with their stuff - real quality and real tonewood too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:34 am 
Kramer Maniac

A pity! I will probably go with Musikraft necks, and see how close I can get them. I could get Jackson necks or something, but it doesn't really make sense to me for a project as sentimental as this. :bananahead