Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:34 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Help with sons EVH mutt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:38 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Hey all-

So, the kids came to visit for their spring break, and amazingly enough, I was able to get my ex to let them bring their guitars (I bought Strikers on the old forum & fleaBay as their first guitars for them back in 06/07 before her & I split) down here for repair & setup. Now keep in mind: it all fell apart in a short time after I came back from deployment, so not only had I never had time to get these set up, but they've been sitting in cases or collecting dust with no use or maintenance for nearly a decade now...

So now the real problem:

My oldest's (14) Kramer is most certainly a Striker of some vintage, however it's previous owner(s) "customized" it- including the addition of a Floyd II. This is causing a problem for setting it up, as the block seems to be too short for the depth of the body. The springs are hitting the bottom of the cavity route, and in fact are almost popping out of the block.

Now keep in mind: I know this is no classic show queen, but it does intonate & play as decent as it could be expected to. Aaaaand... It's of sentimental value, so I took it to a reputable shop where I'm friends with the owner, and he looked through his parts, and his catalogs (sp? scratch_head ) , but couldn't find a block to fix the issue.

Any help appreciated- pics attached for reference/amusement...

BTW- if someone can confirm what the exact model is that would be cool. He's wanting me to find a cavity cover for him too. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:54 pm 
Kramer Kommander

This should work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Kramer-Gui ... 1756007915

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:27 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Yes the block looks too short (32mm ??), you Just need a deeper one that'll give the springs enough space without sticking out the back of the guitar. Standard sizes are 32mm, 37mm and 42mm.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:53 pm 
Kramer Maniac

The exact year might be difficult to tell but is likely an '87-ish 600ST, which would have been equipped with the Floyd II. Many strikers may had plywood bodies, however 600STs seem to have more than a few with solid wood bodies. Good luck and I agree with the advice above, get a longer block.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:28 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I have a 37mm block from a new Floyd Rose Special that you can have for free. Pm me your shipping info and I'll send it out Monday.

The other way you can do it is to remove the spring claw and put more of a bend in it and shim the front of the neck to allow the Floyd to drop down slightly and coupled with the bent claw, it will allow a straighter pull.

I'd wait for the mail to go and do it correctly.

Bet you can't wait to get it up and running again..
Looks like the B string saddle is too sharp also...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:20 am 
Kramer Maniac

Hey all-

Just had a min before bed & remembered this. Been so busy I haven't even thought about it since making the post. I work harder than an ugly stripper...

YGW- Pm returned, and I'll text you tomorrow.

Thanks all for the info. If anyone has (or know's where I can get) a trem cavity cover & screws that'll be the final piece for this one. My son's diggin having it playing again. It had wiring woes & a busted input jack, but other than having to not touch the trem he's been practicing on it since Saturday. I told him to just be patient & it'll come together shortly.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:11 am 
Kramer Maniac

No expert but.. I'd grab a 42mm block by the looks of it.
As for the cavity cover, I wouldn't bother , a small tweak with the springs is helpfull just with basic tuning if setup in floating position.
Plus will look more evh with the cavity open and a brass block hanging out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:44 am 
Kramer Maniac

Mike,
I sent that 37mm block out to you. It should be at your house Tuesday. Any probs or questions please let us know and we'll get you going.

PS tell your son that I'm taking him up on that!
(Payment is that he learns the rhythm guitar part for Youth Gone Wild)....

Have fun buddy!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:27 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Wow- forgot my pw again... took forever!!

Man, that 37mm block was the wrong one too! I think it was a 32 I had to order in the 11h hour when they were here. I still have the one you sent though. I'll send it back this week if you want. If not it'll go in the parts pile for when another forum bro needs one!!

Thanks tho!